Friday, August 1, 2008

I was trying to put myself in a bottle...

On June 13 I wrote about Randy Pausch and his last lecture. Unlike many colleagues who gave lectures "as if" it were their last, for Randy his last lecture was his last for real. He was expected to die with pancreatic cancer within a couple of weeks. Though you would never have guessed it judging by his humor and vitality.

Well, weeks have passed and the inevitable has happened. Randy died on July 25. He was 47. He is survived by his wife and three children.

He wrote in his book, "I was trying to put myself in a bottle that would one day wash up on the beach for my children", as a way of helping us understand and appreciate his extraordinary courage, vitality, and passion for life.

One person can and does make a difference. He was an inspiring example of being a conversation for possibility.

No comments: